We are Don and Julia McCoid, the New Managers of Winter Harbour Marina and RV.
We feel, we have “big shoes to fill” but also know and trust that every one of us brings our own traits and skills to a job, to make a place thrive and be vibrant.
Enthusiastic fishermen, taking pride in doing a good job whatever that might be, open to feedback about what the Marina is needing to make it a place you want to come back to, and delighted to meet you all: this is who we are.
Your comments about us taking on the job of managing the Winter Harbour Marina, in your first emails to us, touched our hearts. Thank you for welcoming us so warmly.
Here is a little bit of information about us and our children:
Don’s Fishing History
I started salmon fishing in 1978 when I realized I could catch 10-12 lb Coho salmon on my Kamloops trout gear.
I then fished Campbell River, mainly buck-tailing, for the prolific Coho.
In the mid-80’, I went 3-4 times/year, in summer, to Rivers Inlet where I learned to motor mooch.
After getting excited about catching 40-50 lbs. Chinook, on a 9’ graphite fly rod and a Hardy fly reel with 12’ test line, I started to migrate to the West Coast of Vancouver Island to motor mooch in Tofino and Bamfield. In 1995, I started fishing at Winter Harbour where I experienced “dream-like” fishing and crabbing. My family and I loved it so much that we never left for “greener pastures”.
All of our children grew up with the thrill and excitement of fishing in Winter Harbour (our oldest daughter started in Tofino), be it catching double-headers of Chinook to trying to get 100 lb Halibut off the bottom. And we all still wait, patiently, for the “bite to come on” and to hear the “zing” of the fly reel.
Don’s background and experience
- “Don of all trades”
- fishing guide
- self-employed for 40 years, building and developing property
- skilled in carpentry and as an equipment operator
- good at helping people
- hard-working, innovator, ambitious, problem-solver, enthusiastic, goal and results-oriented
- happiest when he can share the bounty with family and friends
- available to share his knowledge re: the way he fishes, cleans the fish, smokes it, etc.
- the new manager of the Winter Harbour Marina and RV Resort
- motto: you get out of life what you put in
Julia’s background and experience
- a student and a teacher for 60 years (and still learning)
- cared (with Don) for my mother and International students for the past 15 years
- retired in June 2022 from teaching
- started a new adventure in December 2022 @ the Winter Harbour Marina and RV co-managing with Don
- hard-working, patient, helpful, thoughtful, kind, resourceful, meticulous, friendly
- loves cooking, cleaning, fishing, reading, exercising, and learning new facts about healthy living and
- willing to share her knowledge; and lately loves the Excel program, mainly spreadsheets that come to you in the form of invoices
- have been fishing with Don for the past 30 years (and with our children)
WE ARE EXCITED TO SEE ALL GUESTS, IN WINTER HARBOUR, IN THE NEW FISHING SEASON!!!